Monday, February 9, 2015

My Favorite Swimsuit Images and Why

 When I woke up this morning, I had a blog topic in mind, my favorite swimsuit image and I was gonna tell you why I liked it. Well, I been lucky enough to photograph some of the most beautiful models in Central Florida on the beach. As a photographer for Swimsuit Illustrated Magazine, I've probably shot more swimsuit than anything else and I couldn't narrow it down to just one. These two images stand out in my mind above all others and here's why. 


 In this image, I was supposed to meet Katherine for a surfing photography session. I love shooting surfing. As it worked out, there was hardly any surf and it just wasn't gonna happen. To not waste a trip for either of us, I asked her if she would like to shoot some under the Cocoa Beach Pier. The pier shaded us from the harsh sun on the beach and provided me the ability to be more creative. I placed a Nikon SB800 flash with a full CTO gell on it behind a shoot through umbrella camera right and there you have it. The CTO gell gave Katherine a warm look on her brown skin and my aperture setting or f4.5 made everything but her upper body go slightly out of focus giving the image depth.


This image required a lot more thought and a lot more flash. I scouted this location the day before and I made note of what time the sun would be right where I wanted it.  The next day, I had Krista Jean, the model, arrive 30 minutes early,and positioned her on the rocks. A small speedlight would not do the job here so I brought along my AlienBees B800 and a beauty dish. I like the beauty dish on the beach for two reasons, it doesn't catch much wind, one sand bag is usually all that's needed to keep it from tipping over. Also I don't loose much flash power when using it. When you shoot into the rising sun, you need all the flash power you can get. Here my aperture is set at f18 and everything is in sharp focus. You can even see two shrimp boats on the horizon. 

Summer time is coming. If you would like some swimsuit images like these, drop me a line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment