Monday, January 20, 2014

"Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun"

Man I love "Blinded by the Light"! You younger folks won't know what I am talking about. I also love shooting outside. Throw in a beautiful model in a swimsuit, and you have the recipe for success! In all seriousness, when I am shooting someone outside, I never want to have them facing into the sun. NEVER EVER! Now pay attention, here comes the tricky part. I try to position them so the sun is behind or to the side of them. The sun then puts a rim light on their skin, and highlights in their hair. The problem is, the sun also makes your model become a silhouette. To counteract this effect, you need to use an off camera flash on the opposite side of your model from the sun. Set your camera to expose for the background that you have, and adjust the power on your flash to properly expose your model. (did you catch that play on words?) See the nice highlights in her hair and the rim light down her left side. Now that's what I am talking about!

This is Stephanie Ziajka. Remember the name. She competes in pageants and she is currently Miss Tampa Bay, and will be competing for the title of Miss Florida in July! We recently spent a chilly day on the beach shooting for Swimsuit Illustrated Magazine and Blue Sky Swimwear. I had a great time photographing her, she is such a nice young lady. I look forward to working with her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment